Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Braveheart

I love Braveheart. I saw the movie for the first time at the young age of nine, which is probably far too early for a film of that nature, but I've watched it every year or so since then. I love the story of William Wallace. Although not 100% accurate, his humble beginnings to his valiant end portray a fascinating story. I think Mel Gibson did a very good job at portraying such a character. Whenever I watch the movie, I am left in a certain mood. I kind of want to pick up a sword and fight for something, but the brave Americans of the 18th century already did that for me, so I don't really know what to do with myself. In addition to William Wallace, I really enjoy Hamish, his best friend. I think he adds some necessary comic relief to the movie, but also plays a key role in supporting Wallace. The quote "Every man dies. Not every man really lives" resinates deeply in me. I think that when Wallace says this, he is saying that regardless of what you do, you are going to die. No man lives forever. It's what you do while you live that counts. In context, he was telling the men that, yes, they could leave the battle and survive, but eventually the effect the English would have on Scotland would be immense, and surely their lives and wellbeing would be impacted by it. You can leave, and survive, or you can stay, and fight for the freedom of Scotland, and the infinite generations that will come. 

1 comment:

  1. Sam - first thing is to fix your blog post by getting rid of the white highlight. Your thoughts are well received. Let's work on their presentation.

    ReplyDelete